Saturday, February 23, 2013

Workout at the Grade School Gym

Today is Saturday, so the lunch-time walk routine is off, but I was encouraged by my wife to volunteer at Bountiful Baskets at noontime.  BB is a kind of produce shopping cooperative.  People register (and pay for) weekly shares online.  Then produce is delivered by truck in boxes, and volunteers portion out the "shares" into plastic laundry baskets.  My first task was to take boxes of 115 apples and put four apples in each of 85 baskets.  The site is an elementary school gym, and I certainly got a good gym-style sweat going as I toted and shoved boxes, bent and stooped or crawled on the floor along the rows of bakets, transfered produce from baskets to boxes, then carried full boxes out of the gym to the line of waiting share-purchasers.

Frankly, that's the kind of exercise I like best -- work with a tangible benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment